Discovering Careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts/Architecture and Math (S.T.E.A.M.)
Aim High Learning hosted our 13th annual event “Celebrating Children” during the Week of the Young Child celebration. In 2019 our focus is building awareness and introducing parents and the public on Emerging Careers of the 21st century in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM).
Aim High Learning, Executive Director, Jeanne Shamim, greeted honorable guests, presenters, children and families with opening remarks. Proclamation from Pasadena Mayor Tornek were presented, along with Recognitions from Congresswoman Judy Chu, and State Senator Anthony Portantino to Jeanne for her service to the community in honor of Week of the Young Child.
Aim High thanks all the supporters and Organizing Committee of volunteers who made 2019's event a great success:
- Hi-Point Coaching
- Trinity Lutheran Church
- Pasadena Fire Dept
- American Red Cross
- Bonnie B's Smokin BBQ Heaven
Event Organizing Committee
Jeanne Shamim – Executive Director
Susanna Shamim – Program Director
Beatrice Fakhrian – Event Emcee
Tom Boomer - Event Logistics
Robert Burnham - Technical Support
Carla Hall, Brandon Shamim, Amy Yang - Volunteers
Your Volunteerism is Appreciated.
Please contact us if you'd like to volunteer for future events.
Please email Jeanne Shamim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The event featured Accomplished Guest Speakers in STEAM careers—Inventors, Designers, Artists, Engineers, and Specialists
Guest Appearance by former Sheriff of Los Angeles County, Chief Lee Bacca.
PRESENTATIONS ON S.T.E.A.M. CAREERS:
- Kay Yang, accomplished engineer/inventor, shared how she began her career as an intern with Disney and how her career took her to conduct advocacy for STEM and embark on ventures with Mattel company, LA Cleantech Incubator and tech start-ups.
- David Ewart, Jr. with notable recognitions and contributions in STEM as an educator (Pre-K-16), curriculum designer, project director and advocate. David shared his journey from his early years in tech companies to now running STEM academies. He shared his family history and their experience with the space program. David performed many live demos of technology using robots and drones.
- Pasadena Fire Department made a presentation on careers in the FD and how a fireman gears up to fight a fire.
- Eddie Barksdale performed dance numbers from children's films and sang songs to entertain the audience.
- Red Cross - Sesame Street muppets performed a lively interactive skit on earthquake preparedness.
- Interactive fun activities for children.
- Light refreshments were provided courtesy of www.HiPointCoaching.com. Lunch was served by Pasadena restaurant, Bonnie B's Smokin BBQ Heaven.